Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Blogging is the New Journal



Tonight for Young Women's our Personal Progress
leader dedicated the whole night to scripture
study and journal writing. I must admit that
I'm the worst example of a journaler.
I have nothing written down. I buy journals and
start journals intermittently, but
never get any farther than the first page.
For some reason I just can't commit.

Blogging comes easier, but find that I obsess
over writing the "perfect post."
And this obsession makes it hard to blog
even the shortest posts.Why am I such a perfectionist?
Probably because 10's of people are
reading this and I don't want to come off as a deusche...

My ah-hah moment tonight came when I realized
that in writing down the good parts of my life I:
1. am creating a written legacy for my children.
2. To better remember all the happy/sad/frustrating/spiritual times.
3. In writing down the happy moments I can more
easily have an attitude of gratitude for all life's little blessings.

(For the next 21 days I'm going to try my hardest
to post {almost} daily to record all the great things that
happen in my life photographed or not.
And maybe, just maybe,
I'll become a journaler yet.)

"Those who keep a personal journal are more likely to
keep the Lord in remembrance in their daily lives."
-Spencer W. Kimball

PS-I'm back...

8 comments:

Jenn Kirk said...

Nice to see you back. And nice to have seen you last Sunday. :)

Young Family said...

I'll be checking up to make sure you are keeping your goal :)

Susanne said...

That's the biggest reason why I blog. I think of it as my journal/scrapbook! :-)

Chad~Nicole said...

I've always been a big journaler, but it's hard to keep a journal for me AND my kids...that's why blogging is great since typing is faster than writing. I still write in a journal more personal stuff, goals, spiritual moments, etc., but I could never keep up with everything in my life if I WROTE it all down. Hooray for modern technology that makes life a little easier on us!

Michelle... said...

I always have good intentions to journal, but always fizzle out. That is why I blog. Blogging is my journaling. I have learned not to stress as much as I use to about my posts - even though I still do a little. I decided my blog was more for me to keep track of what we are doing and then let others in on it.

Good luck. Maybe I'll journal with you.

shari berry bo-berry said...

Jodi - thanks for posting this! I feel the same way...and I appreciate reading "real life" stuff not just the happy things. It makes me feel better knowing that other moms out there are struggling and growing and learning and enjoying life just like I am. One. Day. At. A. Time.

:) Love ya girl!

Spendy said...

I'm glad you're back... I've missed you!

El Jeffe and the Girls said...

I was an awesome journalar as a teenager. I wrote in mine muliple times a week (sometimes daily). But like you I find it a chore to do it as an adult. Blogging is easy for me now probably because I can post pictures and sometimes just write a short blurb and call it a day.

Welcome back!

-Susanna