Thursday, November 13, 2008

The New Tolerance



In case you've been living under a rock
since November 4th, Proposition 8, here in California,
passed by a slim margin of 52.5% to 47.5%.

In the days following temples all across the state have been
ground zero for angry demonstrations.
Needless to say, Mormons have been heavily targeted.

Since the news is heavily biased out here, I wanted
to give you the opportunity to get some information
from the other side of the Proposition.

Click here to read In the Face of Hatred by Paul Bishop
I think it's really well written and reminds us
"Bigoted Mormon Hatemongers*" - WWJD?

As Paul so eloquently wrote:
"Clearly there are lessons to be learned from the current unrest:

Tolerance is not agreement and should not be a one way street. However,

we must still remain tolerant of those who are intolerant of us.

Recognize the adversary at work here –

making good seem bad and evil seem good.

We can only be disciples of Christ when we respond to

adversity in a Christlike manner.

To do less opens our actions to the influence of the

adversary and hurts us even more... .

Pray. Often. Don't forget to include those

who are set against you."


PS- The pictures from this article alone

are worth clicking the link.

*Should be read in an overly sarcastic tone.

7 comments:

Chad~Nicole said...

Wow-Wow-Wow. All of a sudden my stomach is in knots. When I heard about this whole mess last week I was so sad, but to see pictures of people defacing the temple is too much. So that I don't get down about stuff like this I have to keep things in perspective. Heavenly Father is in control. It gives new meaning to praying for your enemies.

Jenn Kirk said...

Seeing all the hate, the vandalism of the temple is so hurtful.

I left church early last Sunday with the boys. There was a crowd of 50-ish yelling and chanting and jeering at us. It was terrible. It's one thing to practice your free speech, but another to be rude and unrestrained when children are around.

Monson Family said...

Unbelievable! I have been so upset about all of this! I am at a loss of words!! Thanks for sharing!

Amber said...

I found this question from the article interesting: "How do we respond to hatred disguised by the adversary as tolerance?" It is quite ironic that NO on 8 supporters are showing such intolerance towards the Mormon church. I believe this is just another opportunity for us as members to share what we stand for and "respond to adversity in a Christlike manner." Thanks for sharing this article.

El Jeffe and the Girls said...

Great article.
I know we are free to protest in the country but when does it become harassment? It seems to me that the behavior I experienced this Sunday at my church buiding was not protest by HARASSMENT. It's all very strange to me.
-Susanna

Lisa Wegener said...

You guys are definitely on the front lines there in CA. I wish I were there too, not to be angry, but just to stand in testimony.
Lisa W.

Shauna said...

I'm new here! What a great blog :)